Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Grahamwich

Store front as seen from State
Most Chicago 'foodies' know who Graham Elliot is. He's the jovial, chubby judge on MasterChef, Two Michelin star chef extraordinaire, and apparently, makes one mean sandwich. The store front is very old-fashioned dineresque. Their 'claim to fame' is supposedly having the best grilled cheese in the entire nation. After having the Pastrami Reuben and Waldorf Salad sandwiches, I'm sure that claim is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, everything was edible, and for the most part pretty good, but I was just a little... disappointed.

As soon as we walked in the door, an almost awkward counter clerk peered at us through thick framed, over sized hipster glasses. His "PLEASE believe me when I say that I'm an intellectual being" vibe was a little uncomfortable, but it is what it is. By the way, what exactly is a hipster, and where the hell did they all come from? Anywho, we ordered with little guidance from the clerk. A couple recommendations would have been nice considering that it was clearly our first time as we gawked at the menu board, mouth agape.

A hefty price nearly made me swallow my tongue. For 2 Sandwiches, a pickle, two sodas, and a small order of potato salad, we paid nearly 40 after tax. I mean, the sandwiches were good, but I could have gone to Patty McGenericIrishName's Pub and got a Reuben that was equally as good. The ratio of kraut to pastrami was off. There was a ton of meat and a little sauerkraut. Yeah, I know most people won't complain about too much meat, but I am. I'm all kinds of carnivorous. I just reeeeeaallllyyy like sauerkraut, which this Reuben was desperately lacking. I'd probably try something different the next time around. The Waldorf Chicken Salad Sandwich was alright. The grapes were so fresh and really good. I wish there were a little more in the mix, though. Honestly, the entire meal was lacking any depth in flavor, which isn't what I'd expect from a 2 Michelin Star Chef. The potato salad needed some serious salt, and maybe a little mustard to add something to the starchy, one note cubed potatoes. The best part of the meal was the pickle. It was so crisp and not overly sour or sweet. I could eat a cement truck full of them, granted if I had enough money to buy them at a dollar a piece. They were pretty small, so I found a dollar was a little ridiculous for a single, pinky-length pickle. A very delicious pinky-length pickle though. The root beer was very good as well. I mean, you can't go wrong with root beer, right?
I'll probably visit grahamwich again, but the next time around I'll try something else. Hey, Graham! Stop in and visit this store... sample the potato salad. I'm pretty sure you'd agree that it needs a little help.

website: grahamwich.com
615 N. State 
(312) 265-0434



No comments:

Post a Comment